Making Headlines: Get In The News By Staying Up-To-Date
As PR professionals, it’s no secret that we constantly strive to create newsworthy stories that keep us relevant and allow us to engage with our target audiences. While getting media coverage for our clients is extremely important, staying up-to-date on the news is also an important part of the process. As Edward R. Murrow said, “We cannot make good news out of bad practice.”
There are so many ways to keep up with the news. Some of the best ways include: monitoring trending Twitter hashtags, setting Google alerts, and having daily news updates sent to your phone. We know the news isn’t always exciting or uplifting, but you don’t want to risk missing out on any possible opportunities for commentary.
No matter the industry, every business should be keeping up with the news. It is imperative that you know what is going on, both in your field as well as in other related fields. If a huge news story breaks that relates to your company, or one of your clients, you want to be the leading voice in that story and frame the narrative before others have the opportunity to.
Here are some tactics to improve your chances of getting media coverage:
- Connect your business to topics trending in the news
- See what reporters are talking about and put your own spin on it
- Come up with a unique angle on an ordinary topic
- Give your input on a trending topic relating to your industry
- Follow and/or connect with reporters and bloggers who write about your industry. This will get your name out there so when the next story breaks, reporters will see you as a relevant thought leader who they can turn to for an interview.
You don’t want to miss an opportunity for media coverage simply because you weren’t reading the news regularly. Consistently check for news updates and think about how you can make your voice heard. Come up with a unique angle, piggyback on a trend, or tie yourself in to help get your business media coverage that matters.