Implementing IGTV for Your Brand
Is Instagram going to be the only social media app we ever need? No more need for SnapChat, Skype or FaceTime? Instagram launched IGTV, and it seems this app does everything those apps do plus your taxes. Okay, the taxes part is a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously there is a reason that Instagram (or IG as the hip kids say) has 800 million users every month. Let’s take a look at why you should start implementing IGTV for your brand.
- Outshining SnapChat: Instagram Stories launched in 2016. At first, it was very similar to SnapChat, short videos that last 24 hours then go away forever. But now, Instagram has upped its game and stories include polls, slide bars, question boxes and music.
- Overshadowing Skype/FaceTime: Earlier this year, IG announced Video Chat that allows users to chat face to face with one person or a group of people. Unlike FaceTime and Skype, users need neither the same type of phone nor a separate app.
Now, it seems IG is taking on YouTube, too. With IGTV, you create an Instagram Channel and post long, portrait-style videos. According to Statista, this time last year there were more than 3.7 billion unique mobile internet users around the world. Using the app to give people the ability to post long-form vertical videos is a great opportunity to engage and expand your audience.
So you already have IG why do you need IGTV? Yes, IG does let you post videos but you can only post short ones. With the limit of 1 minute, you have to edit your content to an extremely limited amount. With IGTV you can post videos up to 10 minutes long, longer if you meet their influencer requirements. The second difference between IG and IGTV is the ability to post not only longer but larger videos. With IG your videos get cropped into a square, but now with IGTV you get the chance to post vertical videos fit for your phone. Not to mention your followers can search your videos by title rather than scrolling through your entire feed.
Right about now you’re probably thinking, “Cool I’m on board, but how do I use it for my brand?” So glad you asked.
- Behind the scenes: IGTV videos can last 10 minutes for everyday users or up to 1 hour for some influencers. Having the ability to produce longer videos is a great way to give your clients some behind-the-scenes insight into your brand. This is your chance to take it a step farther and really show your customers what it’s like to work with your brand. Give your customers a chance to take a walk with you around your store or office while giving them some company background.
- Meet & Greet: It’s no surprise, at least it shouldn’t be, that people like to work with and buy from brands they feel connected to. Use IGTV’s long-run videos as a chance to introduce yourself, your brand and your staff to the people who matter most: your customers.
- Tutorials: Most people scroll through social media during their downtime throughout the day. Use this as an opportunity to show them how your product works, an efficient way your company completes a task or anything that makes you and your brand unique.
As with any social media platform, the most important reminder is to connect with your customers in a way that is true to your brand’s values and voice.
Need help getting started? Check out our blog on How To: Set Up IGTV.